Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    The Spit decision backed by Federal Trade, Tourism and Investment

    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Wednesday, August 02, 2017

    The Spit decision backed by Federal Trade, Tourism and Investment

    The Palaszczuk Government’s decision to limit development on The Spit to three storeys and prepare a Master Plan for the iconic area of the Gold Coast has the support of Federal Trade, Tourism and Investment Minister Steven Ciobo.

    Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said Mr Ciobo has claimed credit for her Government’s decision, announced on the Gold Coast yesterday.

    “As the national Minister responsible for Trade, Tourism and Investment and a resident of the Gold Coast, Mr Ciobo knows this is the right decision for the Gold Coast and for Queensland,” the Premier said.

    In a column to The Gold Coast Bulletin, Mr Ciobo said:

    “The Palaszczuk announcement with respect to the three-storey limit is sensible and consistent with something I said 15 years ago and still agree with.”

    The Premier said her Government was focussed on working with investors, employers and the community on the Gold Coast to create jobs, ahead of and beyond the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

    The Government has committed $1.5 billion to deliver the Games with three new venues and the Games village supporting more than 2000 jobs during construction.

    “We know the importance of tourism to the Gold Coast. We have been working with tourism operators to attract more visitors because it’s good for business and jobs. In terms of overseas tourists, there were one million visitors to the Gold Coast last year, an increase of 14.3% over 2015,” the Premier said.

    Media contact: Kirby Anderson (Premier’s office) 0417 263 791