Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Queensland and Commonwealth collaborate on GC2018 security boost

    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Wednesday, July 05, 2017

    Queensland and Commonwealth collaborate on GC2018 security boost

    The Palaszczuk Government will continue to work closely with the Commonwealth to ensure the safety and security of all athletes, visitors and officials at next year’s Commonwealth Games.

    Speaking from the Gold Coast today (5 July), the Premier said the Games would see more than 3500 Queensland Police, 2000 Australian Defence Force and 4200 private security staff, working side by side to protect the community against any threat.

    “The Jeff Horn fight has this week shone a light on Queensland, showing the world that we can very successfully host large scale, international events,” the Premier said.

    “The Commonwealth Games will be no exception and in planning for that and future major events, security will always be our number one priority.

    “While our security preparations for the Games are well advanced, recent security threats overseas mean we need to be ever vigilant in implementing robust security measures during GC2018.

    “We will continue to work with the Commonwealth to do everything we can to ensure these Games are the safest and most successful ever for athletes, staff, volunteers and visitors.

    “In May this year, I wrote to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to request enhanced airspace security in line with the arrangements that were in place during the G20 Leaders’ Summit held in Brisbane in 2014.

    “I am pleased the Prime Minister has swiftly responded to my request and I thank him for his government’s continued commitment and cooperation to ensure robust security measures are in place for the Games.

    “The Prime Minister last week confirmed he has now asked his Attorney-General and Minister for Defence to progress formal arrangements for a specified circumstances Australian Defence Force (ADF) call out order.

    “The order will ensure immediate response capacity and authority from the Australian Defence Force to any emerging aviation threat without the need for Ministerial approval.”

    Under normal arrangements, responding to aviation threats requires approval from the Defence Minister at the time of the threat.

    “These Games will be the largest sporting event in Australia this decade, attracting millions of viewers and visitors from around the world, as well as delivering more than 30,000 jobs and more than $2 billion into Queensland’s economy.

    “Queensland will continue to attract and deliver safe, world class events.”

    Media Contact:  Premier's Office-Susan McGrady 0488 996 667