Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Deputy Premier, Minister for Transport and Minister for Infrastructure and Planning
    The Honourable Jackie Trad

    Works for Queensland receives $200M Budget boost

    Deputy Premier, Minister for Transport and Minister for Infrastructure and Planning
    The Honourable Jackie Trad

    Tuesday, June 13, 2017

    Works for Queensland receives $200M Budget boost

    The Palaszczuk Government is giving regional Queensland a major boost with $200 million over two years for the job-creating Works for Queensland program in the 2017-18 State Budget.

    Deputy Premier and Minister for Infrastructure and Planning Jackie Trad said new funding will mean the enormously successful program will pump a total of $400 million into regional Queensland.

    “The Palaszczuk Government is listening to regional Queensland. This initiative is designed to get local people into local jobs, boosting the regional economy immediately where it is needed the most,” Ms Trad said.

    “Earlier this year we successfully rolled out $200 million in projects and mayors across the State embraced the program, telling everyone about the positive impact it is having on their regional communities and urging me to continue this program.

    “We have listened and are delivering a further $200 million over the next two years to regional Queensland councils for job-creating community infrastructure projects.

    “Our initial Works for Queensland spend saw councils have 723 projects approved supporting almost 6,000 jobs across our regions.

    “Councils across Queensland are telling us that Works for Queensland is transforming their towns and that these projects are getting people into jobs every single week.

    “This funding is making a real difference to the lives of Queenslanders and to their communities right across the State.”

    The types of approved projects range from roadworks to town beautification, tourism projects, parks and playground upgrades as well as renewable energy initiatives.

    Councils will soon be notified of their allocation in the first $100 million set aside for the 2017-18 financial year to start compiling a list of possible projects. A further $100 million will be available in 2018-19.

    The Works for Queensland program is part of the State Infrastructure Fund and serves double duty – creating, supporting and sustaining jobs as well as supporting councils undertake maintenance and minor infrastructure.

    For more information visit: www.dilgp.qld.gov.au/works-for-queensland

    ENDS

    Media Contact: Anna Jabour 0429 890 942