Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
    Deputy Premier, Minister for Transport and Minister for Infrastructure and Planning
    The Honourable Jackie Trad

    Palaszczuk Government launches Operation Queensland Recovery

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Deputy Premier, Minister for Transport and Minister for Infrastructure and Planning
    The Honourable Jackie Trad

    Tuesday, May 09, 2017

    Palaszczuk Government launches Operation Queensland Recovery

    Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Deputy Premier Jackie Trad have unveiled Operation Queensland Recovery – the plan that will underpin the state’s recovery efforts for the tens of thousands of Queenslanders impacted by Tropical Cyclone Debbie.

    The plan underpins the Government’s commitment to get individuals, businesses and communities affected by Debbie back on their feet as soon as possible with a focus on ensuring Queenslanders rebuild Queensland.

    “Recovering from natural disasters is an area where Queenslanders have more expertise than they could wish for,” the Premier said.

    “But every time we go through this process it’s important we take nothing for granted – complacency in recovery carries as much risk as complacency in the disaster itself, and my government is determined to make sure that doesn’t happen.

    “That’s why we want Queenslanders to lead the recovery effort and for local workers to get a fair go and receive the jobs to rebuild their communities.

    “We will work in partnership with councils to ensure that infrastructure is built back better and that communities recover stronger and more resilient because of this experience.”

    As the Minister responsible for the Queensland Reconstruction Authority Ms Trad said the government would also encourage insurers and banks to deal compassionately with Queenslanders who had been affected by Cyclone Debbie.

    “Tens of thousands of Queenslanders have been affected by Cyclone Debbie – they are our small businesses and farmers but also nurses, teachers and tradies,” Ms Trad said.

    “These Queenslanders deserve understanding and compassion from their insurers and lenders and we will be there to back them in every step of the way.

    “We will also work closely with the Federal Government to ensure that Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) for Queensland communities are streamlined and are not tied up in unnecessary, bureaucratic red tape.

    “The Palaszczuk Government will stay focused on helping communities recover and rebuild after this disaster, to ensure they don’t get left behind and are open for business as soon as possible.”

    The Premier thanked the incredible work of frontlines services and volunteers for their strength and spirit.

    “I want to take this opportunity to thank and recognise the incredible work of our police, firefighters, SES workers, paramedics, army officers, energy and community service workers for their efforts to keep people safe and responding to them in their time of need,” she said.

    “I also want to thank the many people who helped their fellow Queenslanders get through Cyclone Debbie and the floods, from opening their homes as shelter, to helping clean up, feed and care for those affected in the immediate aftermath.”

    Please find the Operation Queensland Recovery: State Recovery Plan 2017-19 at http://qldreconstruction.org.au/resilience-and-recovery

    Media contacts:

    Kirby Anderson (Premier's office) 0417 263 791

    Anna Jabour (Deputy Premier's office) 0429 890 942