Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
    Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports and Minister for Energy, Biofuels and Water Supply
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Start of work accelerated on new Vines Creek Bridges supporting jobs

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports and Minister for Energy, Biofuels and Water Supply
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Wednesday, April 26, 2017

    Start of work accelerated on new Vines Creek Bridges supporting jobs

    The Palaszczuk Government is delivering on its commitment to fast-track the Mackay region’s $28 million Vines Creek Bridges project with construction works starting six months ahead of schedule.

    Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk joined Minister for Main Roads and Road Safety Mark Bailey and Member for Mackay Julieanne Gilbert today to award the contract for the project and officially turn the sod on construction.

    The Premier said the contract for the project had been awarded to Queensland Bridge and Civil earlier than expected under the Queensland Government’s Accelerated Works Program.

    “We have brought forward the delivery of $43.15 million worth of new infrastructure in the Mackay area, which means work on the Vines Creek Bridges replacement is beginning six months ahead of schedule,” the Premier said.

    Minister Bailey said the $28 million project, funded by the Palaszczuk Government, will replace the two double-lane bridges on Harbour Road (Mackay-Slade Point Road) in Mackay.

    “The project will deliver two new bridges and approaches, flood improvements with the coinciding completion of Mackay Regional Council’s levee wall, and a dedicated shared path for cyclists and pedestrians,” Mr Bailey said.

    “Early works are beginning this week and major construction will begin in May.”

    Ms Gilbert said an average of 42 direct jobs would be supported over the life of the project.

    “As part of the current Accelerated Works Program, we’ve implemented additional requirements over and above the current guidelines to help enhance training and local content opportunities,” Ms Gilbert said.

    “The successful contractor, Queensland Bridge and Civil Construction, is required to provide 50 per cent more training hours and must meet a more detailed Local Industry Plan, engaging with local subcontractors and suppliers – this is good news for Mackay industry.

    “This project will also greatly benefit the heavy vehicle industry by improving the freight capacity of Mackay’s transport network.

    “The Vines Creek Bridges are the sole access for heavy vehicles travelling to and from the Port of Mackay so building the new bridges and increasing their mass limits will better accommodate transport operators.

    “The project will provide a more efficient and reliable link for heavy vehicles and support transport of commodities including fuel, sugar, mining equipment and grain.

    “With construction of the new bridges coinciding with work starting on Stage 1 of the massive $560 million Mackay Ring Road, the project will improve connectivity between Mackay and the Bowen Basin, and ensure the region is prepared for future growth.”

    Minister Bailey congratulated Julieanne Gilbert on achieving the upgrade in only her first term in Parliament after the aging bridges and the load limit were ignored for three years of the Newman-Nicholls government and their record majority.

    “The old bridges and load limit were a brake on local industry but Julieanne got pedal to the metal and made sure this project was green lighted by the Palaszczuk Government," he said.

    Construction is expected to be completed in March 2019, weather permitting.

    Media contacts:

    • Geoff Breusch (Premier’s office) 0417 272 875
    • Zoe Russell (Minister’s office) 0428 079 640