Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Disaster assistance payments in wake of TC Debbie approach $25M

    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Wednesday, April 26, 2017

    Disaster assistance payments in wake of TC Debbie approach $25M

    More than 60,000 grants have been paid out to Queenslanders in need following Tropical Cyclone Debbie, totalling more than $24.2 million, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said.

    Visiting the Mackay region today, the Premier said the payments – under the joint Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) - help cover the cost of essential items such as food, clothing, medicine and accommodation.

    The Immediate Hardship Payments are $180 per person, or up to $900 for a family of five or more.

    The Premier paid tribute to staff of the Department of Communities and the 235 Ready Reserve staff across the public service to boost recovery efforts.

    “Almost 5000 government workers were deployed in preparation for and response to Debbie. Their work, alongside volunteers and charity workers, has made an incredible difference,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

    “On behalf of all Queenslanders, I want to thank them for their efforts – whether it is administering assistance, reconnecting electricity, re-establishing road and rail access, getting schools ready for the classes to resume last week, operating recovery centres and the Community Recovery Hotline or many more tasks.”

    The Community Recovery Hotline has received more than 61,000 calls to date.

    For information about disaster relief, call the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 or go online to www.qld.gov.au/communityrecovery.

    Media contact: Geoff Breusch (Premier’s office) 0417 272 875