Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
    Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations, Minister for Racing and Minister for Multicultural Affairs
    The Honourable Grace Grace

    Extra resources devoted to processing soaring Back to Work applications

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations, Minister for Racing and Minister for Multicultural Affairs
    The Honourable Grace Grace

    Sunday, April 23, 2017

    Extra resources devoted to processing soaring Back to Work applications

    Extra staff are being deployed from within the public service to process an unprecedented number of applications being lodged under the Palaszczuk Government’s $100 million Back to Work regional jobs program.                 

    Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the popular Back to Work program had already helped thousands of Queenslanders into employment, with additional resources now required to meet growing demand. 

    “Almost 2800 Queenslanders in the regions have been supported to get a job thanks to this hugely successful program,” the Premier said. 

    “In addition to this, there are almost 1500 pending applications, so clearly extra resources are required to process these as quickly as possible. 

    “Jobs will continue to be the number one focus of my government and there’s no better example of this than the Back to Work program.” 

    There have applications from 1329 businesses who have employed 2777 jobseekers, representing total payments of $13.1 million. In terms of business size, the majority of applications are for employees working in small to medium sized businesses. To date, 648 applications are from businesses that have one to four employees and 986 are in businesses that employ five to 19 people. 

    Employment Minister Grace Grace said from tomorrow, an additional five officers would help process applications that are being lodged. 

    “This is about getting more Queenslanders back to work and providing extra financial support to thousands of businesses in the regions,” she said. 

    “I’ve seen first-hand the fantastic results this program is delivering – it’s putting Queenslanders in jobs, and boosting local economies.”

    Back to Work

    • Provides employer support payments for eligible employers who hire an unemployed worker
    • $10,000 for an unemployed worker
    • $15,000 for a long term unemployed worker (out of work for 12 months or more)
    • $20,000 for hiring a young jobseeker aged 15-24 (from 1 December 2016 to 31 October 2017)

    Businesses can visit www.qld.gov.au/backtowork or call 13 QGOV (13 74 68) for more information about Back to Work, or to apply for an employer support payment.

    Media contact: Kirby Anderson (Premier’s office) 0417 263 791