Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
    Treasurer and Minister for Trade and Investment
    The Honourable Curtis Pitt
    Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations, Minister for Racing and Minister for Multicultural Affairs
    The Honourable Grace Grace

    $20,000 Youth Boost for extended regional to employ new staff

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Treasurer and Minister for Trade and Investment
    The Honourable Curtis Pitt

    Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations, Minister for Racing and Minister for Multicultural Affairs
    The Honourable Grace Grace

    Thursday, March 02, 2017

    $20,000 Youth Boost for extended regional to employ new staff

    The Palaszczuk Government has extended its offer of $20,000 for employers hiring staff aged between 15 and 24 years in regional Queensland for another eight months.

    Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the $20,000 Youth Boost employer support payment was provided under the Government’s $100 million Back to Work has helped more than 1800 people back into the workforce in regional Queensland. There are more than 780 applications pending approval.

    “Already the $100 million Back to Work program has supported 875 businesses to employ 1805 workers in regional Queensland,” the Premier said.

    “The majority of applications have come from small business with 367 have come from businesses with one to four employees, while another 610 applications were from businesses with staff of five to 19.”

    “More than one-in-four of the regional Queenslanders supported into the workforce by Back to Work program are long-term unemployed. For those long-term unemployed, our program offers an employer support payment of $15,000.

    “Since late last year, the Government has also offered a Youth Boost payment of up to $20,000 if those workers are aged between 15 and 24 years.

    “Already, there has been 902 applications for the Youth Boost – 365 approved across 256 employers with another 537 applications pending.”

    “The Youth Boost ended on 28 February. However, following representations from employers and regional Members of the Government, the Government has decided to extend the Youth Boost until 31 October.”

    The Premier paid tribute to Iassist general manager Jason Spence, who has engaged three new staff under the Back to Work program for his business in north Rockhampton.

    “Jason raised the issue with me at Yeppoon when my Cabinet was governing from central Queensland last month. I have good news for Mr Spence and employers across regional Queensland -- the Government will extend the Youth Boost another eight months to the 31st of October 2017.”

    Treasurer Curtis Pitt said the Palaszczuk Government was committed to creating jobs and opportunities for people living in regional Queensland.

    “The Palaszczuk Labor Government believes in taking an active role in building our state’s future including creating jobs, especially for young Queenslanders.

    "So it’s great to be able to continue working with the Premier, and the Minister for Employment in announcing and welcoming the extension of our successful Back to Work Youth Boost until 31 October 2017.”

    “I know how welcome this policy has been in regional Queensland, including by employers in my region of far north Queensland.”

    Employment Minister Grace Grace said the two-year Back to Work program was being embraced by employers across regional Queensland.

    “I’ve travelled far and wide throughout regional Queensland and seen first-hand the benefits the Back to Work program is delivering,” the Minister said.

    “It’s helping regional jobseekers back into the workforce and boosting local economies.

    “If you’re a regional employer, I encourage you to get in touch with our Back to Work teams who can help you find the worker that your business needs.”

    For more detail about Back to Work

    Media contact: Kirby Anderson (Premier’s office) 0417 263 791