Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for State Development and Minister for Natural Resources and Mines
    The Honourable Anthony Lynham

    New Year kicks off with QWB’s 6-year jobs journey

    Minister for State Development and Minister for Natural Resources and Mines
    The Honourable Anthony Lynham

    Sunday, January 01, 2017

    New Year kicks off with QWB’s 6-year jobs journey

    It’s official!  Day one of the six-year $3 billion Queen’s Wharf Brisbane building program is underway with State Development Minister Dr Anthony Lynham handing over the CBD site to Destination Brisbane Consortium.

    “What better way to start a new year than for a State Development Minister to kick off a project that one day will employ more than 8,000 operational workers on this site,” Dr Lynham said.

    “Today officially starts that six-year jobs journey.  Today the State hands over this underutilised CBD precinct for the Consortium to turn into a world-class Integrated Resort.

    “Today it might just be - the hoarding, the road closures and the handing over of security - but it’s a great start.”

    “Eventually there will be 2000 construction workers on this massive game-changing project.

    “Yes there will be some inconvenience - but there will be thousands of jobs and massive new investment in Queensland.

    “It is simply about getting more tourists, especially internationals, to stay longer, to spend more and to return here – and with their mates.

    “As I have said previously it is a great outcome for Queensland that this major project will support local jobs; local suppliers; local training and apprenticeships and Indigenous participation.

    “But to get this journey underway and to begin the reinvigoration of this seriously underutilised part of the Brisbane CBD, we first need to secure the site and then demolish the non-heritage buildings”.

    Dr Lynham said from today Probuild will start with demolition and enabling works.

    These are expected to take a year to complete. This includes demolition of the three non-heritage former government buildings (80 George Street, 100 George Street, and the Neville Bonner Building).

    This will be undertaken by a slow demolition process where safety will be the highest priority, ever mindful of our CBD users; motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.

    “All heritage buildings within the precinct will remain protected and secured ready to be restored and repurposed,” Dr Lynham said.

    QWB’s Integrated Resort Development is anticipated to open in 2022 including;

    It is to include:

    • an iconic signature Arc building, including a feature Sky Deck,
    • five new hotels including Brisbane’s first six-star hotel,
    • three residential towers,
    • and around 50 food and beverage outlets.

    As well this transformational inner-city development that will deliver: 

    • 12 football fields of enhanced public open space
    • a new pedestrian bridge from the CBD to South Bank
    • more than 8000 operational jobs. 

    Dr Lynham said the QWB project is expected to attract 1.4 million additional tourists once completed and see an $1.69 billion annual increase in tourism spend.

    Dr Lynham was joined at today’s handover by The Star Entertainment Group Managing Director and CEO Matt Bekier, DBC executives, Royal Historical Society of Queensland (RHSQ) representatives and State Development officers.

    ENDS

    Media Contact:          Benjamin Mulcahy 0419 562 389