Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports and Minister for Energy, Biofuels and Water Supply
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    New Easter road safety campaign to “change the way we look at speed”

    Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports and Minister for Energy, Biofuels and Water Supply
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Sunday, March 20, 2016

    New Easter road safety campaign to “change the way we look at speed”

    Following last year’s horror Easter road toll on Queensland roads, a new road safety campaign is urging drivers to rethink their speed and slow down.

    Main Roads and Road Safety Minister Mark Bailey said the Easter road safety campaign, launched today, targeted speeding drivers and challenged the perception that even low-level speeding is acceptable.

    “Last year the Easter road toll was the worst in more than 20 years. Eight people were tragically killed on our roads in a five-day period - five of those fatalities were caused by speeding,” Mr Bailey said.

    “This Easter long weekend and school holidays many families will be traveling on our roads, and I want to urge Queensland motorists to make safety their number one priority on the roads.

    “Today we’re launching our Easter road safety campaign to highlight the dangers of low-level speeding and challenge drivers to rethink their attitude to travelling even just a few kilometres over the set limit.

    “Nothing is more important than the safety of the people who travel on the state’s vast road network.”

    Mr Bailey said around half of all speed-related crashes resulting in injuries or fatalities happened at just 10km/h or less over the speed limit.

    “Even though speeding still remains one of the major killers on Queensland roads, many people wrongly believe it’s not dangerous, and they can do it safety if they’re only a little over” he said.  

    “A recent study found 94 per cent of those surveyed claimed they sped at least occasionally and half claimed to speed on most trips – this is a horrifying statistic.

    “Speed limits are not a recommendation, they are there to prevent the thousands of avoidable deaths and serious injuries that occur on our roads.

    “The campaign theme — Let’s change the way we look at speed — is part of a long-term strategy to discourage and stigmatise speeding among Queensland road users and change attitudes.”

    Mr Bailey said the first phase of the campaign will run for four weeks from tonight, including the school holiday period.

    Tips to stay safe on the roads during the Easter period:

    • Plan ahead to avoid driving after drinking – organise a lift, catch a cab or public transport, designate a driver or stay at a mate’s place.
    • Never use your phone while driving – it is little different to driving drunk.
    • Don’t rush – stick to the speed limit and allow extra time for your journey.
    • Get a good night’s sleep before you hit the road and make sure you take regular breaks on long trips – fatigue kills.
    • Always buckle up.
    • Drive to the conditions – increase your following distance and drive slower than the signed speed limit if stuck in bad weather (or delay your trip until the weather clears).
    • Remember – if it’s flooded, forget it.

    For more information and to view the television advertisement visit www.jointhedrive.qld.gov.au  

    ENDS

    Media Contacts:     Tim Shipstone       3719 7321

                                    Amy Hunter              3719 7324

     

    Road safety initiatives since Easter 2015

    • Safer Roads, Safer Queensland forum (April)
    • New skills-based learner practical driver test (June/October/February)
    • Targeted motorcycle safety ads – The Perfect Ride (June)
    • Release of a discussion paper on motorcycle licensing reforms, including the

    implementation of pre-learner training courses (August)

    • Queensland Road Safety Week ‘Speak up for Road Safety’ 17-21 August
    • Safer Roads, Safer Queensland forum (24 August)
    • Road Safety Action Plan and Strategy launched which includes 57 initiatives totalling more than $500 million to be implemented over the next two financial years (August/September)
    • Double demerits introduced for repeat mobile phone use offenders while driving (September)
    • Distractions Campaign re-run to correspond with introduction of double demerits (September)
    • “If It’s Flooded Forget It” ad campaign launched (November)
    • Co-lab Youth Innovation Competition – youth initiated road safety innovation winners announced (October)
    • Citizens Taskforce to develop innovative road safety solutions met for the first time (November)
    • Christmas ‘Dry Driver’ ad campaign (December)

    Road safety initiatives 2016-17

    • Held first Ministerial Freight Council and release of Palaszczuk Government’s Heavy Vehicle Safety Action Plan 2016-18 (3 February)
    • Held the third Safe Roads, Safer Queensland Forum (9 February)
    • Announced $5 million in funding for Round 5 of Community Road Safety Grants open for submission (February)
    • Road safety campaigns will run throughout the year, and will continue over the remainder of the school holiday period
    • Delivery of road safety programs including:
      • Improved road infrastructure targeting highest risk locations
      • Rolling out the ‘Wide Centreline’ highway project
      • The installation of four new point-to-point speed cameras and 10 red light/speed cameras over the next two years to enhance the current program. (These cameras will be installed at locations that have a history of speed-related crashes or crashes involving motorists disobeying traffic lights.)

    The Government is also continuing to address speeding in school zones and will install flashing school zone signs at a further 200 school zones in the next two years.