Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
    Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports and Minister for Energy, Biofuels and Water Supply
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    $28 Million Vines Creek Bridges project accelerated to boost Mackay jobs

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports and Minister for Energy, Biofuels and Water Supply
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Monday, February 01, 2016

    $28 Million Vines Creek Bridges project accelerated to boost Mackay jobs

    MACKAY: The Palaszczuk Government is moving to fast-track the delivery of the Mackay region's $28 million Vines Creek Bridges project and the 42 full-time equivalent (FTE) jobs needed to deliver it.

    Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Roads Minister Mark Bailey met with Member for Mackay Julieanne Gilbert in Mackay today to discuss the acceleration of the project.

    "Replacement of the Vines Creek Bridges is a critical project for the Mackay region. They are a vital transport artery for us," Ms Gilbert said.

    "Significantly, the project will ensure heavy vehicles can travel to the Port and boost economic activity in our region. That's more jobs."

    Ms Palaszczuk said the Vines Creek Bridges project was in addition to $32 million of projects already committed for fast-tracking in the Mackay region under the Accelerated Works Program (AWP).

    "Together, these projects are in excess of $60 million and will support more than 120 full-time equivalent jobs," Ms Palaszczuk said.

    "Thanks to the strong advocacy from Julieanne on behalf of her community, the Government ensured the Vines Creek Bridges project was prioritised in our first Budget last year."

    "Minister Bailey and his Department have ensured the planning and design has been progressed so this project can move into construction phase as soon as possible."

    Mr Bailey said the Department of Main Roads has advised construction on the dual bridge project could now start in 2016-17 with design and planning well advanced, subject to finalising arrangements with Mackay City Council and other public utility providers.

    "My department has expedited completion of bridge design, but this needs to be incorporated into the Mackay Regional Council design for their flood protection levee.

    “We also need agreement from public utility providers to relocate services located under the bridges.


    “I will be talking to Council, Ergon and Telstra to ensure that these works can proceed as a matter of priority.

    “The design of the new bridges will better accommodate higher mass vehicles transporting commodities such as fuel, sugar, mining equipment and grain to and from the Port of Mackay.

    "To minimise disruption and ensure continued access for vehicles, construction will be done one bridge at a time."

    Key projects already identified to be part of the AWP in the Mackay region include:

    • $8.15M for overtaking lanes on the Bruce Highway including Thomsetts Road; and$5.15M for upgrade of the police station at Bowen.
    • $5.15M for upgrade of the police station at Bowen.

    Media contact: 0417 263 791