Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
    Minister for Health and Minister for Ambulance Services
    The Honourable Cameron Dick

    Queensland to establish medicinal cannabis trial

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Minister for Health and Minister for Ambulance Services
    The Honourable Cameron Dick

    Sunday, April 19, 2015

    Queensland to establish medicinal cannabis trial

    Queensland will launch its own medicinal cannabis trial in conjunction with New South Wales and Victoria, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said.

    The Premier said she had spoken with New South Wales Premier Mike Baird and Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews about Queensland’s commitment during meetings in Canberra.

    “There has been a lot of debate about the benefits of medicinal cannabis treatment, both here and overseas,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

    “I have received significant correspondence from Queensland families urging our Government to take part in the trial being run by the New South Wales Government.

    “Just last week I spoke to a Toowoomba mother whose son suffers from a severe form of epilepsy, and all she wants is a Government that's willing to step up and investigate this form of treatment.

    “I have listened to the views of those Queenslanders, and now my Government will make that commitment.”

    Ms Palaszczuk said Queensland’s trial would be coordinated by NSW Health, and would allow Queensland and national experts to look deeper into the issue.

    “By broadening the trial to beyond New South Wales, we will get an even better picture of what benefits this treatment can provide, and what conditions respond favourably and unfavourably.

    Queensland will play a constructive role in conjunction with our southern colleagues, but we will have a trial here in Queensland involving Queensland patients.

    “At COAG I congratulated the New South Wales Premier on his leadership on this issue. 

    “I didn't want Queensland standing on the sidelines. I wanted us to be an active participant, because I know many Queensland families see real value in this form of treatment.”

    Health Minister Cameron Dick said Queensland Health would now work closely with NSW Health to determine the structure of Queensland’s trial.

    “This is a great example of where Governments can work together to achieve real health outcomes,” Mr Dick said.

    “Families and patients that deal with a multitude of health conditions can be assured that the Palaszczuk Government has listened to them and will be an active participant in this trial.

    “We have an open mind as to the structure and size of our trial. Ultimately we want it to compliment the research being done in New South Wales and Victoria, because that will lead to a more comprehensive assessment.

    “We will now begin discussions with our New South Wales colleagues, who have already undertaken initial work in this area, to ensure we get the structure right.”

     Media contact: 0437 533 172