Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Appointment of Disaster Recovery Co-ordinator

    Premier and Minister for the Arts
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Monday, February 23, 2015

    Appointment of Disaster Recovery Co-ordinator

    Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced the appointment of a long-serving senior officer of the Queensland Police Service to lead recovery efforts in the wake of Cyclone Marcia.

    Ms Palaszczuk said Chief Superintendent Brian Codd would take up the position within weeks. In the interim the post would be filled by Acting Fire and Emergency Services Commissioner, Katarina Carroll.

    “Brian Codd, currently relieving as Acting Assistant Commissioner, joined the QPS in 1984 and knows central Queensland well, having served in the QPS Central region based at Rockhampton,” she said.

    “He was also involved in disaster recovery efforts based at Townsville after the 2009 floods.

    “During the 2010/2011 flood disaster following Cyclone Yasi, he was appointed as assistant chair to the State Disaster Coordination Group based at the State Disaster Coordination Centre at Kedron in Brisbane.

    “That involved coordinating responses to the Murphy’s Creek and Grantham flood emergencies.”

    Ms Palaszczuk said the Disaster Recovery Coordinator’s role included:

    • coordinating the recovery process for affected areas
    • representing the Premier and the Deputy Premier during discussions with local councils
    • coordinating the recovery and reconstruction efforts of government and non-government agencies, and
    • reporting to the Premier and Deputy Premier about recovery operations.

    Ms Palaszczuk said damage assessments were continuing in cyclone-affected areas and almost 3,800 rapid damage assessments had been conducted with 385 properties so far deemed uninhabitable.

    “A top priority continues to be the resupply of power to cyclone-hit communities,” she said.

    “About 69,000 customers lost power in the cyclone and so far around 23,000 of those have been reconnected.

    “Every effort is being made by Ergon Energy to get power back on as soon as possible. But this must been done with the safety of residents and power workers in mind.

    “Statewide, the SES has received more than 6,400 requests for assistance with more than half of those jobs now completed.

    “Around 2,000 caller shave used the Community Recovery Hotline 1800 173 349 and 35 hardship payments have been made with that figure expected to grow significantly.”

    Ms Palaszczuk said parents should check the Education department website www.education.qld.gov.au for the latest information on school closures.

    She said recovery hubs had opened at the Walter Reid Centre, Rockhampton and at the Yeppoon Town Hall.

    Media contact: 0437 837 976