Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Local Government, Community Recovery and Resilience
    The Honourable David Crisafulli

    First sugar ship vital to Bundaberg’s recovery

    Minister for Local Government, Community Recovery and Resilience
    The Honourable David Crisafulli

    Wednesday, June 19, 2013

    First sugar ship vital to Bundaberg’s recovery

    Bundaberg has welcomed its first sugar ship into its port since the January floods, marking a turning point in the region’s economic recovery.

    Queensland Community Recovery and Resilience Minister David Crisafulli said the arrival of the Celine, a 150-metre sugar cargo ship that arrived yesterday, meant last year’s sugar could now be shipped to market, opening up storage for this year’s crop.

    “The January floods damaged the shipping channel and navigation markers, stranding180,000 tonnes of last season’s sugar crush in storage,” Mr Crisafulli said.  

    “The restoration of the Port’s infrastructure and the arrival of the Celine means this region is open for business again in time for this year’s crush.

    “Each time we start one more bridge repair, one more country road opens again, or even a new culvert gets built, we’re marching forwards.”

    Mr Crisafulli said when a town was hit as hard as Bundaberg, it was natural for people to wonder if life would ever get back to normal, especially after the initial shock wore off.

    “When there’s a lot to do, it’s important to measure what’s been done,” he said.

    “In 2011, it took the Bundaberg Regional Council 18 months to get $25 million worth of repair work to the market.

    “In 2013, it has taken four months to get $40 million worth of work to market.

    “If ever you need proof of what happens when two levels of government work together, the 2013 figures show the rebuilding of roads, the port, water infrastructure and bridges is happening quickly.”

    Mr Crisafulli said the state was not just rebuilding this time, but using the $80 million Betterment Fund, jointly funded by the Federal Government, to build better.

    “We’re getting the best value for money that we can to build better positioned and designed infrastructure to minimise damage from future events,” he said.

    “I don’t underestimate the huge social impact, uncertainty and fear people experienced after this disaster, but the state is delivering some long-term solutions that will give them a more secure future.”

    [ENDS] 19 June 2013

    Media:            Andrew Longmire 0418 216 627

                           Monica Rostron 0409 126 332