Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning
    The Honourable Jeff Seeney

    Rebuilding Bundaberg made easier

    Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning
    The Honourable Jeff Seeney

    Tuesday, March 19, 2013

    Rebuilding Bundaberg made easier

    Repairing and rebuilding flood-damaged homes and businesses in Bundaberg will be made easier after the State Government granted Bundaberg Regional Council (BRC) some planning relief.

    Deputy Premier and Minister for State Development, Planning and Infrastructure Jeff Seeney said he had granted council a Temporary Local Planning Instrument (TLPI) so it could get on with the job of rebuilding.

    “Bundaberg’s flood in late January was its most devastating flood in recorded history,” Mr Seeney said.

    “Since then, my department has been working with council to get the city back on its feet and begin the mammoth rebuilding task.

    “Implementing the TLPI will allow residents to repair their flood-affected homes faster and without the need to go through all the usual planning requirements.

    “Residents will also be able to raise their houses to 9.5 metres above ground level, sparing them from any future floods.

    “The focus of the rebuild is on increasing flood resilience in the affected areas so that we don’t see such extensive damage again.

    “By working closely with council we have been able to fast-track this approval so BRC can focus its efforts on rebuilding, without the delays that the usual planning permissions sometimes take.”

    The TLPI suspends aspects of Bundaberg Regional Council’s current planning schemes addressed by the TLPI and offers a short to medium-term response to development and land use planning issues that have arisen since the flood.

    “I want to thank the BRC and Mayor Mal Forman for their swift response to what was a natural disaster unlike any the city had ever seen before,” Mr Seeney said.

    “This government has always said it is here to work with local councils to achieve the best outcomes for their residents.

    “This is an example of that commitment in action, and we will continue to work with the city to help it rebuild in a more flood-resilient way.”

    [ENDS] 19 March 2013

    Media Contact:
    Kate Haddan 0418 373 516 or John Wiseman 0409 791 281