Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Scott Emerson

    Port of Brisbane Motorway open ahead of schedule

    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Scott Emerson

    Thursday, February 21, 2013

    Port of Brisbane Motorway open ahead of schedule

    The multi-million dollar Port of Brisbane Motorway upgrade is open to traffic eight months ahead of schedule.

    Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson and member for Lytton Neil Symes commissioned the $385 million project today, and thanked crews for completing the project much earlier than anticipated.

    “A large section of this fantastic new motorway opened to motorists in September last year, and today marks the official completion of the whole upgrade,” Mr Emerson said.

    Mr Emerson said the project would be extremely beneficial to the freight industry, with almost 90 per cent of port trade moved by road.

    “Providing these upgrades and duplications will help to minimise traffic disruption and maintain smooth traffic flow for freight and local road users,” he said.

    “Most heavy vehicles heading to the port are now using the new motorway, with motorists having the option to continue using Lytton Road or the new motorway extension.

    “This is a great result for Queensland’s growing economy.”

    Mr Symes said the project delivered a duplication of the existing three–kilometre, two-lane motorway, as well as a three-kilometre, four-lane extension and construction of six bridges.

    “This upgraded motorway guarantees a more reliable road access to the Port of Brisbane,” Mr Symes said.

    “The delivery of this vital new upgrade project could not come fast enough.

    “In 2009, the Port of Brisbane Motorway carried approximately 18,000 vehicles per day, with around 5,400 of these being heavy vehicles.

    “It is expected these figures will increase to approximately 45,000 vehicles per day, with around 18,000 being heavy vehicles, by 2026.

    “With this growth, the original motorway would quickly reach capacity by 2015 and be unable to cater to the demand.

    “It’s a great achievement for all involved to be able to finish such a significant project eight months ahead of schedule.”

    The Port of Brisbane Motorway upgrade project has also made Pritchard Street a permanent cul-de-sac, eliminating the 90-degree bend for port-bound traffic.

    Local roads also now exclusively service Fort Lytton and local businesses including the Caltex Lytton refinery.

    [ENDS] 21 February 2013
    Media contact:            Minister Emerson        Eleisha Rogers                    0413 375 088
                                       Neil Symes MP           Lytton Electorate Office        07 3396 0066