Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning
    The Honourable Jeff Seeney

    Gladstone channel proposal moves forward

    Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning
    The Honourable Jeff Seeney

    Tuesday, December 11, 2012

    Gladstone channel proposal moves forward

    The Queensland Coordinator-General’s assessment of the shipping channel duplication in Gladstone Harbour has reached another major milestone, with the finalisation of the terms of reference (ToR).

    Deputy Premier and Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning Jeff Seeney said public and advisory agency comment had been received on the draft ToR, clearing the way for the proponent to prepare an environmental impact statement (EIS).

    “The Gladstone Ports Corporation has identified this as a key component of a 50-year strategic plan to safely and sustainably accommodate future shipping requirements,” Mr Seeney said.

    “This is Queensland’s largest multi-commodity port and one of the busiest in the country.

    “Increasing its capacity will place us in a position to take advantage of an immeasurable number of opportunities in coming years.  

     “If approved, the duplication of the existing Gatcombe and Golding Cutting shipping channels will allow two-way traffic and more efficient and effective use of the harbour.

    “Projects like this are enhancing our vision for a strong four-pillar economy built on tourism, agriculture, resources and construction and forming the foundations on which the economic growth of Queensland will be built over the next 50 years and beyond.

    “The EIS is expected to be released next year, when the community will again be able to have its say and provide submissions to the Coordinator-General.”

    The project is expected to require a workforce of up to 100 people during construction over 20 months from 2014/2015, and an additional 20 people as part of the on-going maintenance dredging program.

    Mr Seeney said the project was being assessed in parallel with the Commonwealth Government’s assessment under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).

    “The project involves dredging and spoil disposal and therefore the co-operation and timely responses from relevant Commonwealth agencies will be very important, to complement our own streamlined approval approaches,” he said.

    “A total of 19 submissions were received on the draft ToR which have been considered and where appropriate, included in the terms of reference which must be addressed by the proponent in its EIS.”

    [ENDS] 11 December 2012

    Media Contact:
      Kate Haddan – 0418 373 516